Thursday 9 January 2014

Blueberry Yoghurt Bundt Cake

I made a delicious Blueberry Bundt Cake this week. It's so flavoursome and really moist.

If you aren't sure what a bundt cake is, it's the round ring shaped tin that it's baked in. You can get them in various sizes and shapes too all in the form of a ring.
This particular cake that I made this week was made in a plain bundt ring.
I particularly like this style of cake as it slices so well for the kids packed lunches. Loaf shaped tins are great too, but there's never enough. I find that once the kids have had a slice 'to try' then there's just enough for a packed lunch each and then it's gone. The bundt cakes can take more mixture so last longer.


I often get asked for my recipes, so I thought I'd share with you.
This particular one started off as a Hummingbird recipe but over the years I've adapted it to a Yoghurt Cake.

Set your oven to 170oC (325oF)
Grease your cake tin very well. This is really important. 

You need:
175g Unsalted Butter
175g Caster Sugar
3 Eggs
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
225g Plain Flour
2.5 tblsp Baking Powder
125g Natural Yoghurt
125g Blueberry Yogurt
1 cup of Fresh Blueberries

To make:

Put your butter and sugar together in a free standing mixer and mix until creamed well together and light in colour.
Mix the flour with the baking powder in a separate bowl.
Slowly add the eggs one at a time and as you do this add some of the flour/baking powder mix too. Keep doing this until the eggs and the flour mix have been blended in and the mixture looks smooth. Add the vanilla.
The whole time I leave the mixer mixing and don't turn it off.
I add both types of yoghurt to the cake mixture and allow to mix in.
Finally the blueberries get mixed in too.

Now pour in to the well greased bundt tin.
Bake for 40mins or until it's nicely brown and coming away from the tin at the sides.
I always do the skewer test and if it comes out with mixture on you know it's not quite ready.

The next important bit (and I learnt the hard way) once it's finished baking, leave it in the tin to cool. I'm so impatient in the kitchen, well in life in general : ) But it won't come out in whole if you try too early. Leave it to cool nicely and then I take a mini palate knife and scrape around the outer ring and also the inner piece too, just to loosen the cake off.
Take a cooling tray to the flat part of your cake ring (where you can see the cake) and flip over.
Your cake should now come out nicely. Sometimes I need to give it a bit of a pat.

To finish, dust with icing sugar.
Enjoy!!


   

 

3 comments:

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Yum yum yum! Pinning!!!!

yyam said...

Yummo! :)

Lynnda said...

YUMMMMM!!! ...I love bundt cake! ...... Thanks for sharing your tips!.... hugs....x